WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Northwest Area Health Education Center (Northwest AHEC) of Wake Forest University School of Medicine and part of the N.C. AHEC Program will host the last official celebration of its 35th anniversary on Thursday, May 21, at the new Wake Forest University Deacon Tower at BB&T Field.
During the event, Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines will start the program by issuing a proclamation regarding Northwest AHEC. The Northwest AHEC staff will also recognize several of its partners, collaborators and supporters. Michael Lischke, Ed.D., Northwest AHEC director, will present the following awards:
• Visionary Leader Award to Richard M. Janeway, M.D., professor of neurology- emeritus, Wake Forest University School of Medicine and executive vice president of Health Affairs- emeritus, Wake Forest University, who as the dean in 1974 provided significant leadership in the development of the entire N.C. AHEC system.
• Advocate Award to N.C. Sen. Linda D. Garrou for her support of education and health care professional development and services.
• Long-Term Partnership Award to Forsyth Technical Community College/Health Technologies Division for collaborative support of nursing and allied health programs.
• Long-Term Partnership Award to Winston-Salem State University/School of Health Sciences – for collaborative support of nursing and allied health programs.
• Horizons Partnership Award to the Piedmont Triad Partnership – new partner for collaborative support of nursing and allied health programs.
• Horizons Partnership Award to WFU School of Medicine students “Share the Health Fair” Committee – new partner for collaborative development of an annual student-led and implemented community health fair that impacts lives of the underinsured and uninsured.
Anniversary celebrations have already taken place at each of the medical centers where Northwest AHEC libraries are located: Watauga Medical Center in Boone on Oct. 21; Catawba Valley Medical Center in Hickory on Jan. 22, and Rowan Regional Medical Center in Salisbury on March 20. Staff from each of these medical centers as well as staff from partners/collaborators and community leaders were invited to attend from the surrounding counties. Event attendees have obtained information about Northwest AHEC and the N.C. AHEC Program. Several Northwest AHEC partners, collaborators, and supporters have been recognized during the events.
Bonnie Davis: firstname.lastname@example.org, 336-713-1597