WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Women's Health Center of Excellence at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center will hold its 11th Annual Excellence Triathlon at Tanglewood Park in Clemmons on Saturday May 10.
The sprint triathlon will start at 8 a.m. and includes a 400-meter swim, 12.4-mile bike course and a 3.1-mile run.
About 250 athletes from across the country are expected to compete this year. Racers can sign up individually or in teams of two or three participants.
Proceeds from the triathlon support domestic violence prevention programs and community education, including:
Specialized training courses for the Wake Forest Baptist Emergency Room Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE).
- Clothing and toiletry supplies for assault victims.
- Supplies and educational materials for the local Family Services shelter programs.
- Domestic violence workshops for clergy and lay leaders of every faith.
- Domestic violence community awareness events including the “Silent Witness Exhibit” and the “Clothesline Project.”
Race organizers are also seeking donations for:
- Family Services of Forsyth County Family Shelter. Their needs include household goods and clothing.
- Safe Haven, a foster program for victims’ pets. Pet food, pet supplies, and monetary donations to cover emergency veterinary bills are needed.
- Shugart Women’s Center of Forsyth Techical Community College. Gently-used professional women’s clothing suitable for job interviews are needed.
- SANE. Donations for sexual assault victims treated in the WFUBMC Emergency Department are needed, including underwear, socks, T-shirts, shorts, sweatpants and toiletry items. Only new items in their original packaging are accepted.
For information about donating, volunteering, or to register for the triathlon, visit www.excellencetriathlon.org or call (336) 713-4222.
Media Relations Contacts: Shannon Koontz, email@example.com, (336) 716-2415; or Bonnie Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org, (336) 716-4977.